If you're looking to add some excitement to your leg day routine why not try incorporating lunges on a smith machine? Lunges are an exercise for targeting muscle groups such as the quads, glutes, hamstrings and calves. However, performing them with form and balance can be quite challenging. Thankfully the smith machine is here to help. It's a device that allows you to perform exercises using a barbell that is securely fixed on rails. With this setup you can focus solely on perfecting your movement and engaging the muscles you want to work without worrying about stabilizing or accidentally dropping the weight on yourself.
Benefits of Lunges on Smith Machine
Lunges performed on the smith machine offer a range of advantages that make them a valuable addition to your leg workout. Let's take a look at some of these benefits;
- Increased quad growth: If you're looking to enhance the strength and size of your quadriceps, incorporating lunges a smith machine can be highly effective. Lunges are a type of exercise that engage your quadriceps by flexing and extending your knees. Utilizing the smith machine allows you to intensify the resistance and further push your quads for growth.
- Improved power and explosivity: Performing lunges using the smith machine can also aid in improving the power and explosiveness of your body. Power refers to the capacity to generate force rapidly while explosiveness refers to the ability to swiftly change direction. These attributes are crucial, for excelling in sports and daily tasks. By executing lunges, on the smith machine with speed and vigor you can effectively train your muscles to contract with increased quickness and strength.
- Safer and easier execution: Lunges performed on a smith machine are considered to be a more manageable option compared to types of lunges. The smith machine offers a controlled setting that allows you to execute the exercise with confidence. You won't need to be concerned about maintaining balance or the risk of injury if you happen to lose your footing. Moreover, you have the flexibility to adjust both the height of the bar and the width of your stance according to your preferences and comfort level.
How to Do Lunges on Smith Machine
To do lunges on smith machine, follow these steps:
- Set the bar on a smith machine to the height. Position yourself underneath it resting it on the back of your shoulders.
- Start by removing the bar from the rack and then position your feet by placing one foot and the other foot back. This will serve as your stance.
- Bend your knee almost touching the ground while flexing both knees and lowering your hips. Make sure to keep your body straight and engage your core muscles.
- At the bottom of the descent, immediately reverse direction. Explosively drive through the heel of your front foot with light pressure from your back foot.
- Jump up and reverse the position of your legs. Land softly and repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
Tips and Variations for Lunges on Smith Machine
To get the most out of lunges on smith machine, keep these tips and variations in mind:
- Keep your front knee aligned with your front foot and avoid letting it cave in or go past your toes.
- Keep your back leg slightly bent and avoid locking out your knee.
- Breathe out as you push up and breathe in as you lower down.
- To increase the difficulty, you can add more weight to the bar or perform more reps or sets.
- To work on muscle groups you have the option to adjust the width of your stance or the angle of your feet. If you widen your stance it will put focus on your glutes and hamstrings whereas a narrower stance will target your quads more. By turning your feet you can engage your inner thighs further while a slight inward turn will activate your outer thighs to a greater extent.
Performing lunges on a smith machine is a way to target and strengthen your leg muscles while also enhancing your power, explosiveness and balance. These lunges are not safe but simple to execute with proper form and technique. By incorporating lunges on the smith machine into your leg workout routine you can add variety to your exercises and push yourself in new ways.